As we age, our teeth naturally become darker. While darkened, yellowed, and stained teeth are common among adults, they can often be a source of embarrassment. Luckily, your Conroe, TX dentist offers teeth whitening and other cosmetic dentistry solutions tailored to fit your individual needs, including no-cost touchups for life.
Causes of Teeth Stains
- Stains and discoloration of teeth are common among adults due to the thinning of enamel- the outer layer of our teeth. After years of eating, drinking, and brushing our teeth, more of the yellowish, softer layer called dentin begins to show through. However, there are several other factors that can increase your risk of stains, including:
- Tobacco Use: tar, which is usually dark, and nicotine, which turns yellow and staining when exposed to oxygen, both contribute to discoloration.
- Coffee, Tea, and Red Wine: each of these contain chromogens, intense color pigments that attach to your teeth.
- Some Medications: medicines such as antipsycotics, antihistamines, and high blood pressure medications, as well as chemotherapy and radiation treatments, can all cause teeth darkening as a side affect.
At the Dental Centre of Conroe, we know that there may be teeth staining factors that you can’t or don’t wish to avoid. So, we take into account your unique needs when choosing a teeth whitening option that will be best for you.
How Is Whitening at the Dentist Different From Over-the-Counter?
There are many teeth whitening options available over-the-counter at your local drugstores. However, there are some big differences in how effective these store-bought at-home kits can be compared to dentist-provided gel and trays.
- The concentration of bleaching agents in store-bought kits is lower than what your dentist can provide, which means it will be less effective.
- Over-the-counter kits cannot take into account your unique smile, and not all stains can be removed with the same bleaching agents.
- Store-bought kits can lead to increased tooth sensitivity.
Using a kit at home without a dentist’s guidance can lead to ineffective treatment and increased discomfort. If you are considering over-the-counter treatment, it is always best to consult your dentist so that you can find one that more closely fits your needs.
Benefits of Whitening at The Dental Centre of Conroe
If you decide to whiten your teeth in our office, Dr. Richards will take great care to make sure that your needs are met. The whitening gels he will use can penetrate deeper into the tooth than store-bought, leading to better results. When deciding on the right formula for you, he will take into account your desired whitening as well as your sensitivity level. The modern formulas he uses allow for little-to-no discomfort, making them more pleasant than store-bought formulas. During the visit, impressions will be made of your teeth so that a technician can make custom trays for you. You will take home your trays and gel and wear the trays at night for up to two weeks. And, after your initial whitening treatment, we offer touchups at no extra cost for life.
Ready For a Brighter Smile?
Dr. Richards is committed to helping you achieve all of your smile goals. If you’re ready for a brighter, younger-looking smile, schedule a visit with the Dental Centre of Conroe by calling (936) 441-4600. We serve patients from Conroe, TX, and the neighboring communities.